Chocolate-filled mini vanilla cupcakes
SmartPoints® value per serving
Slathered with chocolate icing and filled with chocolate cream, these decadent mini vanilla cupcakes are the perfect portion-controlled sweet treat. Applesauce stands in for the oil in the batter to give them a super moist texture. Perfect for almost any gathering, this recipe makes enough to serve a large crowd. If you’d like to get a jump start on making them, you can prepare the filling in advance and store in the refrigerator. Bake and ice them on the day you want to serve them. For the best results, wait until they’re completely cool before you spread the icing over their tops.
Unprepared white cake mix
3 large egg(s)
Dry chocolate pudding mix prepared with 2% milk
Semi-sweet chocolate chips
Fat-free cream cheese
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line 48 mini muffin cups with paper liners.
- To make cupcakes, beat together cake mix, water, applesauce and eggs at low speed for 30 seconds; beat on medium speed for 2 minutes more. Spoon batter into lined cupcake cups.
- Bake cupcakes for 5 minutes. Drop a teaspoon of pudding into the center of each cupcake. Bake for 13 minutes more and cool for at least 30 minutes.
- To make icing, create a double boiler: Boil water in a small saucepan and then reduce heat to simmer. Put chocolate chips in a small metal bowl and set bowl over simmering water; stir until chocolate melts. Remove from heat and stir in cream cheese; blend until smooth.
- Top each cooled cupcake with 1 teaspoon of icing. Yields 1 cupcake per serving.