Chickpea & brown rice veggie burgers with tomato salad
1 cup(s), drained and rinsed
Long grain cooked brown rice
3 Tbsp, minced (1 medium)
2 Tbsp, fresh, chopped
Dried plain breadcrumbs
2 Tbsp, whole-wheat preferred
1 Tbsp, fresh, chopped
¼ tsp, freshly ground
1 large, Salad
Plain hamburger bun
½ cup(s), diced
Sweet red pepper(s)
¼ cup(s), diced
¼ cup(s), or cherry tomatoes, quartered
Fresh lemon juice
Uncooked red onion(s)
2 Tbsp, chopped, thinly slivered
1 Tbsp, extra-virgin
- In food processor, pulse chickpeas in 10-second intervals until coarse texture is reached, 20 to 30 seconds total. Add rice and pulse again to combine, about 10 seconds more.
- Transfer chickpeas and rice to large bowl. Mix in carrot, scallion, parsley, breadcrumbs, cilantro, lemon zest, coriander, salt, and black pepper. Mix in egg white. Refrigerate for at least 10 minutes and up to overnight.
- In medium bowl, toss cucumber, bell pepper, tomatoes, lemon juice, onion, and oil to combine. Set aside salad.
- Coat grill rack or grill pan with nonstick spray. Preheat gas grill to medium, prepare medium fire in charcoal grill, or heat grill pan over medium on stovetop.
- Form chickpea-rice mixture into 4 patties, using about ½ cup for each. Coat tops of patties with nonstick spray.
- Grill patties, undisturbed, until golden brown and crispy on bottom, 6 to 8 minutes. Carefully flip patties and grill until golden brown and crispy on other side, 6 to 8 minutes more. Divide burgers and salad among buns.
- Serving: 1 burger and about 1/4 cup of salad per serving.