Chicken Shawarma Kebabs with Dill and Garlic Yogurt Sauce by Daphne Oz
Uncooked boneless skinless chicken breast(s)
Extra virgin olive oil
¼ cup(s), plus additional for greasing
Fresh lemon juice
4½ Tbsp, divided
4 clove(s), minced or grated, divided
1 piece(s), 1-inch, peeled and grated
2 tsp, sweet variety
Crushed red pepper flakes
1 pinch(es), if desired
1 pinch(es), or ground cinnamon
4 Tbsp, finely chopped, divided
1 pinch(es), or to taste
1 pinch(es), freshly ground, or to taste
Plain lowfat yogurt
1 tsp, if desired
2 Tbsp, chopped
Uncooked red onion(s)
1 large, cut into 3/4-inch thick wedges
Sweet red pepper(s)
2 medium, stemmed, seeded, and cut into 1-inch squares
- Prepare the chicken breasts. Cut the chicken breasts into 1-inch thick “square” logs like tenders. Then crosswise thinly slice the chicken breasts into slices a little larger than ¼-inch thick (we are mimicking the texture of shawarma). Once cut, place the chicken into a large resealable bag.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the olive oil, 1 1/2 tbsp lemon juice, 2 cloves garlic, ginger, cumin, coriander, paprika, red pepper flakes, allspice or cinnamon, and 2 tbsp parsley. Season with salt and a nice amount of pepper.
- Pour ¾ of the marinade over the chicken, seal the bag and massage to coat. Allow to marinate for at least 30 minutes but preferably a couple of hours up to overnight in the fridge. (Be sure to take the chicken out of the fridge 30 minutes prior to cooking.)
- Meanwhile, prepare the Dill and Garlic Yogurt Sauce. In a small bowl, stir together the Greek yogurt, remaining 2 garlic cloves, lemon zest (if using), remaining 3 tbsp lemon juice, remaining 2 tbsp parsley, and dill. Season with salt and stir to combine. Place in the refrigerator, covered, to chill until ready to serve.
- When ready to grill, lightly grease the grill with oil and preheat the grill or grill pan to medium-high heat. Toss the red onion and bell pepper in a medium bowl with the reserved marinade. Thread several marinated chicken pieces onto a skewer to make a stack, place a couple of pieces of bell pepper and onion in between stacks of chicken. Repeat with remaining chicken and vegetables until all is used to make 4 skewers. Place the skewers onto the grill and allow to char about 4 minutes per side, for a total of 15 to 18 minutes, until the chicken registers 165°F on a meat thermometer and is fully opaque and cooked through (no pink!). The vegetables should be charred and crisp-tender.
- Serve the chicken and veggie kebabs with the yogurt sauce on the side.
- Serving size: 1 skewer and about 1/4 cup yogurt