- 1/2 cup(s) uncooked white corn grits, stone-ground
- 1/2 cup(s) fat free evaporated milk, divided
- 1/2 tsp table salt, or to taste
- 1/8 tsp black pepper, or to taste
- 1/2 cup(s) low fat shredded cheddar cheese, sharp-variety
- Bring 2 cups of water to a boil in a small pot and slowly stir in grits; reduce heat to medium-low and cook, stirring frequently, for 10 minutes.
- Stir in 1/4 cup milk, salt and pepper; reduce heat to low and cook until milk is absorbed and grits thicken slightly, stirring frequently, about 2 minutes.
- Stir in remaining 1/4 cup milk; cook, stirring occasionally, until milk is absorbed, about 2 minutes. Remove pot from heat and gradually stir in cheese; serve immediately. Yields about 1/2 cup per serving.
Sprinkle with salt before serving, if desired.