Cauliflower, white bean, and hominy chili
extra virgin olive oil
3 medium, chopped
2 medium, seeded and minced
1 large, chopped
2 medium, husked, rinsed, diced
6 medium clove(s), finely chopped
canned cannellini beans
15½ oz, or pinto beans, rinsed, drained, mashed slightly with a fork
fat free vegetable broth
1 head(s), medium
15 oz, rinsed, drained
¼ cup(s), chopped, plus additional for garnish
1 item(s), cut into wedges
- 1 Heat oil in Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add poblanos, jalapeños, onion, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/8 teaspoon pepper; cook, stirring often, until vegetables begin to soften, about 5 minutes. Add tomatillos and garlic; cook, stirring often, until softened, about 3 minutes.
- 2 Meanwhile, place beans in medium bowl and mash with fork or potato masher until slightly chunky. Set aside.
- 3 Add chili powder, cumin, oregano, and allspice to Dutch oven; cook, stirring constantly, until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add broth and beans; bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, until chili thickens slightly, 25 minutes.
- 4 Meanwhile, core cauliflower and separate into florets. Shred florets using coarse side of box grater (you should have about 8 cups).
- 5 Add cauliflower and hominy to Dutch oven and cook, stirring occasionally, until cauliflower is tender, about 15 minutes. (If chili becomes too thick, stir in a little water.) Remove from heat. Stir in 1/4 cup cilantro, remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt, and remaining 1/8 teaspoon pepper. Top each serving with additional cilantro leaves and serve with lime wedges.
- Serving size: 1 1/2 cups