Carrot Cake with Maple-Cream Frosting
1½ cup(s), (not self-rising)
¾ cup(s), granulated
Uncooked egg yolk(s)
Canned pineapple packed in light syrup
8 oz, crushed, drained, 1/4 cup liquid reserved
1 cup(s), (about 2 medium)
¼ cup(s), dark
Low fat cream cheese
4 oz, (Neufchâtel)
Powdered sugar (confectioner's)
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Spray an 8-inch square baking pan with nonstick spray.
- Sift the flour, baking powder, cinnamon, baking soda, salt, and allspice into a medium bowl.
- Combine the granulated sugar, egg whites, egg yolk, and oil in a large bowl until blended. Add the flour mixture and stir just until blended. Stir in the pineapple and reserved liquid, carrots, and raisins. Scrape the batter into the pan.
- Bake until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, 25–30 minutes. Cool the cake in the pan on a rack 10 minutes. Remove the cake from the pan and cool completely on the rack.
- To prepare the frosting, beat the light cream cheese, confectioners’ sugar, and maple syrup in a medium bowl until smooth. Spread on top of the cooled cake. Yields 1 /12 of cake per serving.