Cajun Red Beans, Sausage & Rice by Millie Peartree
Uncooked long grain white rice
Extra virgin olive oil
Cooked chicken sausage(s)
12 oz, or turkey sausage, andouille or kielbasa variety, sliced on a bias
1 medium, sweet or Spanish variety, diced
1 medium, diced
2 rib(s), medium, diced
Canned tomato paste
4 clove(s), diced
Salt-free Cajun spice blend
2 tsp, (or seafood seasoning)
Canned red beans
45 oz, rinsed and drained (3 [15 oz] cans)
Ready-to-eat chicken broth
1 Tbsp, optional
½ tsp, freshly ground
2 Tbsp, chopped
- In a large saucepan, cook rice according to package directions and set aside.
- Meanwhile, in a large stockpot or Dutch oven heat oil over medium heat. Working in batches, add sausage, and cook, stirring frequently, until sausage is lightly browned, about 3 to 4 minutes. Remove sauce and set aside.
- Add onion, bell pepper, and celery. Cook, stirring occasionally, until tender, about 3 to 4 minutes. Stir in tomato paste, garlic, and Cajun seasoning until fragrant, about 1 minute. Stir in beans, broth, hot sauce (If using), bay leaf, and reserved sausage. Season with salt and pepper. Bring to a boil over high heat, then cover, reduce heat to low, and simmer for 15 minutes. Uncover and continue to simmer until reduced, an additional 15 minutes.
- Using a wooden spoon, mash beans until slightly thickened. Adjust seasonings if needed.
- Serve beans immediately, topped with rice (or as a hearty stew), and garnished with parsley.
- Serving size: 1 cup bean mixture and ½ cup rice