Buttermilk-marinated oven-fried chicken
- Total Time
Continue the Southern theme in this meal by serving the chicken with braised collard greens. Cook chopped onion and garlic in a saucepan coated with nonstick spray; add sliced collards and water and simmer until tender, about 20 minutes. Season with salt and red pepper flakes.
cooking spray3 spray(s)
low-fat buttermilk¾ cup(s)
black pepper1 tsp
table salt¾ tsp
uncooked skinless chicken breast with bone24 oz, (4 7-ounce breasts, skinned)
panko breadcrumbs⅔ cup(s)
grated Parmesan cheese2 Tbsp
dried sage1 ½ tsp
dried rosemary1 tsp, crushed
- 1 Preheat oven to 350°F. Line baking sheet with foil and spray foil with nonstick spray.
- 2 Combine buttermilk, 1/2 teaspoon pepper, and 1/2 teaspoon salt in large zip-close plastic bag; add chicken. Squeeze out air and seal bag; turn to coat chicken. Refrigerate, turning bag occasionally, at least 3 hours or up to overnight.
- 3 Mix together panko, Parmesan, paprika, sage, rosemary, remaining 1/2 teaspoon pepper, and remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt in shallow dish.
- 4 Remove chicken from marinade; discard marinade. Coat chicken, one piece at a time, in bread-crumb mixture. Place chicken on prepared baking sheet and bake 30 minutes. Remove baking sheet from oven and lightly spray chicken with olive oil spray. Return chicken to oven and bake until cooked through and crumbs are golden, about 15 minutes longer.
- Serving size: 1 chicken breast