- 1 1/4 cup(s) sugar, granulated, divided
- 2/3 cup(s) water
- 1 cup(s) basil, fresh, cut into ribbons, minced*
- 4 cup(s) low-fat buttermilk
- 3 Tbsp fresh lime juice
- 2 tsp lime zest, finely minced
- To make basil syrup, combine 2/3 cup sugar with 2/3 cup of water in a small saucepan; bring to a boil for 1 minute. Reduce heat to low, add basil and simmer for 5 minutes; set aside to cool.
- In a large bowl, combine remaining 2/3 cup sugar with buttermilk, lime juice and zest; mix until sugar dissolves. Add cooled basil syrup to buttermilk mixture and mix thoroughly.
- Run sorbet mixture through an ice cream maker according to its package directions (if you do not have an ice cream maker, see notes below). Transfer sorbet to a container and freeze for 12 to 24 hours before serving. Yields about 1/2 cup per serving.