Bulgur and bean chili
1 cup(s), chopped
2 medium, or cubanelle peppers, chopped
Canned crushed tomatoes in tomato puree
1 tsp, or to taste
Uncooked sweet yellow corn
1 cup(s), fresh or canned
Canned black beans
15½ oz, rinsed and drained
½ cup(s), leaves, fresh, chopped
Fresh lime juice
½ tsp, or to taste
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onion and pepper; sauté until almost tender, about 5 minutes.
- Add chili powder, garlic and cumin; sauté until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Add water, tomatoes and their puree, bulgur and salt; bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Cover; reduce heat to medium-low and simmer 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in corn and beans (and a bit of water if chili seems too thick); simmer, covered, over medium heat, until corn and bulgur are tender, about 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in cilantro; finish with a squeeze of lime juice. Yields about 1 1/4 cups per serving.