Broccoli with Lemon-Garlic Crumbs
- 1 pound(s) uncooked broccoli, florets, fresh
- 1 Tbsp regular butter
- 1 1/2 tsp minced garlic
- 1/2 cup(s) dried plain breadcrumbs, panko (Japanese bread crumbs)
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- 1/4 tsp table salt
- Bring 1 inch of water to a boil in a large pot. Place broccoli in a steamer basket and set over water. Cover pot and steam until broccoli is crisp-tender, about 5 to 6 minutes; drain. Alternatively, you can cook broccoli in microwave.
- Meanwhile, melt butter in a medium nonstick skillet over medium-low heat. Add garlic and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add bread crumbs, increase heat to medium and cook, stirring often, until lightly toasted, about 2 to 3 minutes.
- Remove skillet from heat; stir in lemon zest and salt.
- Spoon broccoli into a serving bowl and toss with crumbs. Yields about 1 cup of broccoli and 2 tablespoons of crumbs per serving.
Look for panko in the ethnic aisle of your supermarket or in an Asian grocery store.Try the same recipe with spinach, kale or collard greens.Use the bread crumb mixture for oven-frying chicken and fish, too.