Broccoli and Parmesan Souffle
- Total Time
A sure-fire way to impress dinner guests. Serve it as soon as it comes out of the oven (no peeking!) because the soufflé shrinks fast.
cooking spray2 spray(s)
uncooked broccoli1 pound(s), florets, finely chopped
all-purpose flour⅔ cup(s)
low-fat milk2 cup(s)
garlic clove(s)1 clove(s), medium, minced
reduced-fat sour cream½ cup(s)
grated Parmesan cheese⅔ cup(s), high-quality suggested
lemon zest1 tsp
table salt1 tsp
black pepper½ tsp
egg(s)3 large, separated
egg white(s)3 large
- Preheat oven to 325ºF. Coat a 2-quart soufflé dish with cooking spray.
- Bring a medium-size pot of water to a boil; cook broccoli for 4 minutes. Immediately remove broccoli from pot and plunge in a bowl of ice water to stop it from cooking; when cool, drain and set aside.
- In a medium saucepan, combine flour, milk and garlic; set over medium-high heat and bring to a boil for 1 minute, stirring constantly. Reduce heat to medium-low and add sour cream, Parmesan cheese, lemon zest, salt, pepper and egg yolks; cook until thick, stirring constantly, about 1 minute. Pour mixture into a large bowl and stir in broccoli; set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, using an electric mixer, beat all six egg whites until stiff peaks form; gently fold into broccoli mixture, a little at a time, until combined.
- Immediately spoon broccoli mixture into prepared dish and bake until eggs are set, about 35 to 45 minutes. Serve immediately. Yields about 3/4 cup per serving.