A sure-fire way to impress dinner guests. Serve it as soon as it comes out of the oven (no peeking!) because the soufflé shrinks fast.
- 2 spray(s) cooking spray
- 1 pound(s) uncooked broccoli, florets, finely chopped
- 2/3 cup(s) all-purpose flour
- 2 cup(s) low-fat milk
- 1 clove(s), medium garlic clove(s), minced
- 1/2 cup(s) reduced-fat sour cream
- 2/3 cup(s) grated Parmesan cheese, high-quality suggested
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- 1 tsp table salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 3 large egg(s), separated
- 3 large egg white(s)
Preheat oven to 325ºF. Coat a 2-quart soufflé dish with cooking spray.
Bring a medium-size pot of water to a boil; cook broccoli for 4 minutes. Immediately remove broccoli from pot and plunge in a bowl of ice water to stop it from cooking; when cool, drain and set aside.
In a medium saucepan, combine flour, milk and garlic; set over medium-high heat and bring to a boil for 1 minute, stirring constantly. Reduce heat to medium-low and add sour cream, Parmesan cheese, lemon zest, salt, pepper and egg yolks; cook until thick, stirring constantly, about 1 minute. Pour mixture into a large bowl and stir in broccoli; set aside.
In a mixing bowl, using an electric mixer, beat all six egg whites until stiff peaks form; gently fold into broccoli mixture, a little at a time, until combined.
Immediately spoon broccoli mixture into prepared dish and bake until eggs are set, about 35 to 45 minutes. Serve immediately. Yields about 3/4 cup per serving.
- Swap reduced-fat Cheddar cheese for the Parmesan if you prefer. And/or use cauliflower instead of broccoli (could affect SmartPoints value).