- 6 slice(s) uncooked turkey bacon, sliced crosswise into 1⁄4-inch strips
- 2 cup(s) uncooked broccoli, frozen, chopped
- 1 small uncooked red onion(s), chopped
- 1 1/2 tsp minced garlic
- 2 tsp Italian seasoning
- 2 Tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1 cup(s) low-fat buttermilk
- 3 large egg(s)
- 3 large egg white(s)
- 4 , freshly grated
- 1/2 tsp table salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper, freshly ground
Place the oven rack in the center of the oven; preheat the oven to 350ºF. Heavily spray a 12-cup muffin pan with cooking spray.
Spray a nonstick skillet with cooking spray; place over medium heat. Add the bacon and sauté until crispy, about 6 minutes. Transfer to a plate.
Return the skillet to the heat. Add the broccoli, onion, garlic, and Italian seasoning; cook until the vegetables are just tender, about 7 minutes. Remove from the heat; stir in the flour and the cooked bacon. Set aside to cool.
Whisk together the buttermilk, eggs, egg whites, cheese, salt, and pepper in a large bowl until blended. Stir in the cooled vegetable mixture, then spoon evenly into the muffin cups. Bake until set in the center, about 20 minutes. To remove, run a narrow rubber spatula or knife around the edge of each muffin cup. Yields 3 mini egg cups per serving.
- If you have leftovers, they reheat beautifully in the microwave. You can make the vegetable mixture and the egg mixture (minus the buttermilk) up to a day in advance; store them in separate containers in the refrigerator. Simply whisk in the buttermilk right before cooking.Choose bagged frozen broccoli over the solid-brick type. Its flavor and texture are usually better, and it’s easy to measure out the allotted amount.