Bowtie pasta with sausage and escarole
6 oz, bowties (about 3 cups)
¼ tsp, for cooking pasta
Uncooked turkey sausage(s)
8 oz, hot Italian variety, casings removed
1 small, chopped
4 medium clove(s), sliced
8 cup(s), roughly chopped in bite-size pieces (about 1 head)
Canned chicken broth
Canned diced tomatoes
14½ oz, fire-roasted
Crushed red pepper flakes
1 tsp, or to taste
Grated Parmesan cheese
¼ cup(s), Parmigiano-Reggiano recommended
- Cook pasta in lightly salted water according to package directions; drain pasta and return to pot.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add sausage and onion; cook, breaking up sausage as it cooks, until sausage is lightly browned, about 5 minutes.
- Add garlic, escarole and broth to skillet; cook, stirring often, until escarole is tender, about 5 minutes. Stir in tomatoes and red pepper flakes; cook until heated through, about 1 minute.
- Spoon sauce over pasta; toss to coat. Sprinkle with cheese; sprinkle with red pepper flakes (if desired).
- Serving size: 1 1/2 c pasta-vegetable mixture and 2 tsp cheese