Bowtie Pasta with Sausage and Escarole
- Total Time
This easy weeknight dinner comes together fast. The homemade sauce can be made in the time it takes to boil the water and cook the pasta.
uncooked pasta6 oz, bowties (about 3 cups)
table salt¼ tsp, for cooking pasta
olive oil1 tsp
uncooked turkey sausage(s)8 oz, hot Italian variety, casings removed
uncooked onion(s)1 small, chopped
garlic clove(s)4 medium clove(s), sliced
escarole8 cup(s), roughly chopped in bite-size pieces (about 1 head)
canned chicken broth¾ cup(s)
canned diced tomatoes14 ½ oz, fire-roasted
crushed red pepper flakes1 tsp, or to taste
grated Parmesan cheese¼ cup(s), Parmigiano-Reggiano recommended
- Cook pasta in lightly salted water according to package directions; drain pasta and return to pot.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add sausage and onion; cook, breaking up sausage as it cooks, until sausage is lightly browned, about 5 minutes.
- Add garlic, escarole and broth to skillet; cook, stirring often, until escarole is tender, about 5 minutes. Stir in tomatoes and red pepper flakes; cook until heated through, about 1 minute.
- Spoon sauce over pasta; toss to coat. Sprinkle with cheese; sprinkle with red pepper flakes (if desired).
- Serving size: 1 1/2 c pasta-vegetable mixture and 2 tsp cheese