Bow Tie Pasta with Sausage & Escarole
6 oz, bowties (about 3 cups)
¼ tsp, for cooking the pasta
Uncooked turkey sausage(s)
8 oz, hot Italian variety, casings removed
1 small, chopped
8 cup(s), roughly chopped in bite-size pieces (from about 1 head)
Canned chicken broth
4 medium clove(s), sliced
Canned diced tomatoes
14½ oz, fire-roasted
Crushed red pepper flakes
1 tsp, or to taste
Grated Parmesan cheese
¼ cup(s), Parmigiano-Reggiano recommended
- In a pot of lightly salted water, cook the pasta according to the package directions. Drain the pasta and return to the pot.
- Meanwhile, in a large nonstick skillet, heat the oil over medium-high. Add the sausages and onion and cook, breaking up the meat with a wooden spoon, until lightly browned, about 5 minutes.
- Add the escarole, stock, and garlic; cook, stirring often, until the escarole is tender, about 5 minutes. Stir in the tomatoes and red pepper; cook, stirring, until heated through, about 1 minute.
- Spoon the sauce over the pasta and toss to coat. Sprinkle with the cheese.
- Serving size: 1½ cups pasta-vegetable mixture and 2 tsp cheese