Bobotie (South African meat pie)
Uncooked lean ground beef
1 medium, finely chopped
1 medium, Granny Smith, peeled and finely chopped
½ cup(s), finely chopped
1 medium clove(s), mincedSpice Mix
¼ tsp, freshly groundRemaining Ingredients
2 fl oz, dry-variety
2 large egg(s)
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Coat a 9-inch loaf pan with cooking spray.
- In a large nonstick skillet, over medium-high heat, cook meat until no longer pink, breaking it up with a wooden spoon as it cooks, about 3 to 5 minutes. Drain meat; set aside.
- In same skillet (do not wipe out pan), over medium-low heat, combine onion, apple, carrot, raisins and bay leaves; cook, stirring frequently until soft, about 10 minutes. Stir in garlic and spice mix; cook for 2 minutes.
- Stir meat into vegetable mixture; pour in wine and scrape bottom and sides of pan with a spoon to loosen any stuck pieces of food. Simmer mixture for 5 minutes; remove from heat. Remove bay leaves; stir in chutney. Spoon meat mixture into prepared pan.
- In a small bowl, thoroughly whisk together eggs and milk; pour over meat mixture, tilting pan to evenly cover top. Bake until egg layer is set, about 20 to 25 minutes. Let cool slightly before cutting into 8 pieces. Yields 1 piece per serving.