Blueberry-Lemon Drop Scones
- Total Time
Making these scones like drop biscuits makes them quicker to get into the oven.
white all-purpose flour1 cup(s)
white whole wheat flour1 cup(s)
baking powder2 ½ tsp
table salt½ tsp
baking soda¼ tsp
unsalted butter3 Tbsp, cold
fat free skim milk½ cup(s)
sugar¼ cup(s), granulated
lemon zest1 Tbsp, grated
fresh lemon juice1 Tbsp
vanilla extract½ tsp
fresh blueberries1 ½ cup(s)
turbinado sugar1 ½ Tbsp
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Cover a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Combine flours, baking powder, salt and baking soda in a large bowl; stir with a whisk. Cut in butter with two knives or a pastry blender until mixture resembles coarse sand; set aside.
- Whisk together milk, granulated sugar, lemon zest and juice, vanilla and egg in a medium bowl.
- Add milk mixture to flour mixture; stir until just combined. Gently fold in blueberries.
- Scoop and drop 1/4 c dough onto prepared pan . Repeat to make 12 even-size mounds. Sprinkle tops with turbinado sugar. Bake until well browned, 20-25 minutes. Transfer scones to a wire rack to cool completely (or serve warm).
- Serving size: 1 scone