Making these scones like drop biscuits makes them quicker to get into the oven.
- 1 cup(s) white all-purpose flour
- 1 cup(s) white whole wheat flour
- 2 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp table salt
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 3 Tbsp unsalted butter, cold
- 1/2 cup(s) fat free skim milk
- 1/4 cup(s) sugar, granulated
- 1 Tbsp lemon zest, grated
- 1 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 large egg(s)
- 1 1/2 cup(s) fresh blueberries
- 1 1/2 Tbsp turbinado sugar
Preheat oven to 375°F. Cover a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
Combine flours, baking powder, salt and baking soda in a large bowl; stir with a whisk. Cut in butter with two knives or a pastry blender until mixture resembles coarse sand; set aside.
Whisk together milk, granulated sugar, lemon zest and juice, vanilla and egg in a medium bowl.
Add milk mixture to flour mixture; stir until just combined. Gently fold in blueberries.
Scoop and drop 1/4 c dough onto prepared pan . Repeat to make 12 even-size mounds. Sprinkle tops with turbinado sugar. Bake until well browned, 20-25 minutes. Transfer scones to a wire rack to cool completely (or serve warm).
Serving size: 1 scone
- Using half all-purpose flour and half whole-wheat flour is an easy way to get more fiber and nutrients in baked goods while still maintaining their tenderness.