BLT-and-Egg Breakfast Salad
- Total Time
A light coat of cooking spray will create crispy croutons. Keep an eye on them - the broiler will quickly turn golden brown into blackened in seconds.
pumpernickel bread2 slice(s), cut into bite-size pieces
cooking spray2 spray(s)
uncooked reduced fat center cut bacon4 slice(s), chopped
fresh cherry tomato(es)1 cup(s), halved
apple cider vinegar2 Tbsp
olive oil4 tsp, divided
uncooked kale6 cup(s), baby variety
table salt¼ tsp, or to taste
black pepper⅛ tsp, or to taste
- Preheat broiler to high heat.
- Arrange bread cubes in a single layer on a small baking sheet; lightly coat with cooking spray. Toss well and coat with cooking spray again; broil until crisp and browned, about 2 minutes, stirring after 1 minute (or toast in a high heat oven If you prefer).
- Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add bacon; cook until crisp, stirring frequently, about 8 minutes. Remove bacon from pan with a slotted spoon and set aside; reserve drippings in pan. Return pan to medium heat. Add tomatoes; cook until tomatoes begin to brown and soften, stirring occasionally, about 3 minutes. Add vinegar, water and 2 tsp oil to pan; cook until bubbly, 30 seconds. Pour mixture into a heat proof bowl; set aside.
- Without cleaning, return same pan to medium heat; add remaining 2 tsp oil. Carefully crack eggs into pan; cook until desired degree of doneness.
- To serve, toss kale with reserved tomato mixture; divide among 4 shallow bowls (about 1 1/2 c in each bowl). Top each bowl with 1 egg, 1/4 c croutons and 1 rounded Tbsp bacon; sprinkle with salt and pepper (optional).
- Serving size: 1 salad