Blitz Berry Torte
- Total Time
Our creamy berry filling nestled between two layers of spongy cake is a dessert lover's dream!
egg white(s)3 large
all-purpose flour1 cup(s)
baking powder1 tsp
table salt¼ tsp
unsalted butter¼ cup(s), at room temperature
unsweetened applesauce¼ cup(s)
uncooked egg yolk(s)2 large
almond extract⅛ tsp
fat-free half-and-half⅓ cup(s)
sliced almonds2 Tbsp
packed light brown sugar1 Tbsp
strawberries⅔ cup(s), coarsely chopped
fresh blueberries⅔ cup(s), coarsely chopped
raspberries⅔ cup(s), coarsely chopped
light sour cream3 Tbsp
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat two 8-inch round cake pans with cooking spray.
- Whip egg whites just until they hold a soft peak. Next, add 1/2 cup of granulated sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, while beating, until the egg whites are stiff and glossy; set meringue aside.
- Whisk flour, baking powder and salt together in a large bowl; set aside. Beat butter with an electric mixer until light and airy. Add the remaining 1/2 cup of granulated sugar and cream the mixture until light and fluffy; add the applesauce, beat to combine and then add the egg yolks and almond extract; beat to combine. Add the flour mixture in 3 batches, alternating with the half-and-half, mixing to combine.
- Pour batter into prepared pans and smooth the tops; gently spread each with half the meringue and sprinkle each with 1 tablespoon of almonds. Bake until meringue begins to turn golden, about 20 to 25 minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine sour cream and brown sugar; mix in berries and set aside.
- Allow cakes to cool in pans on wire rack for 10 minutes. Remove from pans, turn meringue-side up and cool completely. Place one cake layer, meringue-side down, on a serving plate, spread with berry mixture and top with second layer, meringue-side up. Slice into 10 pieces and serve.