Black Bean Brownies
- 2 spray(s) cooking spray, flour-variety recommended
- 1/2 cup(s) canned black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/4 cup(s) black coffee, strong
- 1/2 cup(s) unsalted butter
- 4 oz bittersweet chocolate
- 4 large egg(s)
- 1 1/4 cup(s) sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/8 tsp table salt
- 1 cup(s) all-purpose flour
- Preheat oven to 350ºF. Coat a 9- X 13-inch pan with cooking spray; line with aluminum foil and coat foil with cooking spray.
- In a blender or mini food processor, process beans with coffee until smooth; set aside.
- In a double boiler over very low heat, melt butter and chocolate.
- Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, using an electric mixer, beat eggs and sugar until light and fluffy. With mixer on low speed, add melted chocolate to eggs; incorporate well. Add black bean mixture, vanilla and salt; mix well. Add flour; combine thoroughly on low speed.
- Pour batter into prepared pan and bake until a tester inserted in center of brownies comes out clean, about 25 to 30 minutes. Remove pan to a cooling rack. After 10 minutes, remove brownies from pan by pulling up on foil and placing brownies on cooling rack to cool more. Cut into 24 pieces and serve. Yields 1 piece per serving.
Customize this basic recipe with instant espresso, a teaspoon of cinnamon or 1/4 teaspoon of cayenne pepper. Great served with whipped cream or powdered sugar, or topped with walnuts (could affect SmartPoints value).