Bittersweet Chocolate-Orange Mousse with Pistachios
- Total Time
If you accidentally over-whisk the chocolate mixture and it turns grainy, simply remelt it over very low heat and whisk it again.
egg white(s)½ cup(s), refrigerated liquid variety
powdered sugar¼ cup(s)
bittersweet chocolate chips⅔ cup(s)
water⅓ cup(s), boiling
orange crème low-fat custard-style yogurt6 oz
orange zest½ tsp, finely grated
shelled pistachio nuts¼ cup(s), roughly chopped
- With electric mixer on low speed, beat egg whites and sugar in large bowl until sugar is dissolved. Increase speed to medium-high; beat until stiff peaks form when beaters are lifted, about 10 minutes, scraping down side of bowl once or twice.
- Put chocolate chips in medium bowl; pour boiling water over. Wait about 30 seconds, then stir until chocolate is melted and mixture is smooth. Place bowl of chocolate over larger bowl filled with ice water; whisk constantly just until chocolate is thickened to consistency of soft pudding, 2–3 minutes.
- Immediately remove whipped chocolate from ice water; gently fold in yogurt, zest and a large spoonful of beaten whites to lighten mixture. Fold in remaining whites just until no longer visible.
- Spoon 1/2 c mousse into each of 8 dessert glasses; refrigerate until set, about 2 hours or up to 6 hours. Keep chilled until ready to serve. To serve, sprinkle each with 1/2 Tbsp nuts.
- Serving size: 1/2 c mousse, 1/2 Tbsp nuts