- 1 medium uncooked onion(s), chopped
- 3/4 pound(s) uncooked lean ground beef, (5% or less fat)
- 3 cup(s) cremini mushroom(s), thinly sliced fresh or white mushrooms
- 1 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp dried sage, rubbed
- 4 cup(s) canned beef broth, low sodium
- 3/4 cup(s) uncooked orzo
- 11 oz uncooked Swiss chard, (1 bunch) stemmed and chopped
- 1/2 tsp table salt
- 1/8 tsp black pepper, freshly ground
Spray a large nonstick saucepan with nonstick spray and set over medium heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring, until translucent, about 3 minutes.
Add the ground beef and cook, breaking it apart with a wooden spoon, until browned, about 3 minutes.
Add the mushrooms and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 3 minutes. Add the thyme and sage; cook until fragrant, about 20 seconds. Add the broth, stirring to scrape up any browned bits from the bottom of the pan. Stir in the orzo, Swiss chard, salt, and pepper; bring to a boil. Reduce the heat, and simmer, covered, about 8 minutes. Yields 1 1/2 cups per serving.