Beef and “Zucchini Noodle” Lasagna
- Total Time
cooking spray3 spray(s)
uncooked zucchini3 large, (about 1/2 pound each), cut into 1/4-inch lengthwise slices
uncooked 93% lean ground beef¾ pound(s), (7% fat or less)
canned crushed tomatoes14 ½ oz, preferably fire roasted
table salt½ tsp
black pepper¼ tsp
part-skim ricotta cheese¾ cup(s)
grated Parmesan cheese3 Tbsp
part-skim mozzarella cheese1 cup(s), shredded
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Spray 9-inch square baking dish or casserole dish with nonstick spray. Spray large rimmed baking sheet with nonstick spray
- Place zucchini on prepared baking sheet and spray with nonstick spray; bake 10 minutes. With tongs, carefully turn zucchini over; bake just until tender, about 10 minutes longer. Let cool slightly.
- Reduce oven temperature to 350°F.
- Meanwhile, cook beef in large nonstick skillet over medium heat, breaking it apart with wooden spoon, until browned, about 5 minutes. Add tomatoes, ¼ teaspoon of salt, and 1⁄8 teaspoon of pepper; cook until slightly thickened, about 7 minutes longer.
- Stir together ricotta, egg, 1 tablespoon of Parmesan, and remaining ¼ teaspoon salt and 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper in small bowl until blended well.
- Spread 1⁄3 cup of tomato-meat sauce in prepared baking dish. Arrange half of zucchini on top of sauce, filling in any spaces with extra pieces of zucchini. Spoon half of remaining tomato-meat sauce over zucchini and dollop with half of ricotta mixture, spacing dollops evenly. Sprinkle with ½ cup of mozzarella. Repeat with remaining zucchini, tomato-meat sauce, ricotta mixture, ½ cup mozzarella, and 2 tablespoons Parmesan.
- Bake until bubbly, 30–35 minutes. Let stand 10 minutes before cutting into 6 portions.
- Per serving: generous 1 cup