Beef and Rice–Stuffed Bell Peppers with Tomato Sauce
- Total Time
cooking spray2 spray(s)
uncooked long grain brown rice½ cup(s), (or 1 1/2 cups cooked brown rice)
uncooked 95% lean ground beef1 pound(s)
uncooked red onion(s)1 small, finely chopped
ground allspice1 tsp
table salt¾ tsp
black pepper¼ tsp
ground cinnamon¼ tsp
dill¼ cup(s), chopped fresh
fresh parsley¼ cup(s), chopped
uncooked bell pepper(s)4 item(s), medium, large, assorted colors, halved lengthwise and seeded
garlic clove(s)1 medium clove(s), minced
canned salted tomato puree2 cup(s), or strained tomatoes
plain fat free Greek yogurt½ cup(s)
- Cook rice according to package directions.
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Spray large shallow baking pan with nonstick spray.
- Combine cooked rice, beef, onion, allspice, paprika, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/8 teaspoon black pepper, cinnamon, 2 tablespoons dill, and 2 tablespoons parsley in large bowl.
- Spoon beef mixture evenly into bell pepper halves. Arrange peppers in single layer in prepared baking pan. Cover and bake 30 minutes. Uncover and bake until peppers are tender, about 15 minutes.
- When peppers are almost done, spray small saucepan with nonstick spray and set over medium heat. Add garlic and cook, stirring constantly, until fragrant, 30 seconds. Add tomato puree, remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt, and remaining 1/8 teaspoon pepper and bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer until slightly thickened, about 5 minutes.
- Divide peppers evenly among 4 plates, top evenly with yogurt, remaining 2 tablespoons dill, and remaining 2 tablespoons parsley. Serve with sauce.
- Per serving (2 stuffed pepper halves, 1/2 cup sauce, and 2 tablespoons yogurt)