Beef and rice–stuffed bell peppers with tomato sauce
Uncooked long grain brown rice
½ cup(s), (or 1 1/2 cups cooked brown rice)
Uncooked 95% lean ground beef
Uncooked red onion(s)
1 small, finely chopped
¼ cup(s), chopped fresh
¼ cup(s), chopped
Uncooked bell pepper(s)
4 item(s), medium, large, assorted colors, halved lengthwise and seeded
1 medium clove(s), minced
Canned salted tomato puree
2 cup(s), or strained tomatoes
Plain fat free Greek yogurt
- Cook rice according to package directions.
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Spray large shallow baking pan with nonstick spray.
- Combine cooked rice, beef, onion, allspice, paprika, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/8 teaspoon black pepper, cinnamon, 2 tablespoons dill, and 2 tablespoons parsley in large bowl.
- Spoon beef mixture evenly into bell pepper halves. Arrange peppers in single layer in prepared baking pan. Cover and bake 30 minutes. Uncover and bake until peppers are tender, about 15 minutes.
- When peppers are almost done, spray small saucepan with nonstick spray and set over medium heat. Add garlic and cook, stirring constantly, until fragrant, 30 seconds. Add tomato puree, remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt, and remaining 1/8 teaspoon pepper and bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer until slightly thickened, about 5 minutes.
- Divide peppers evenly among 4 plates, top evenly with yogurt, remaining 2 tablespoons dill, and remaining 2 tablespoons parsley. Serve with sauce.
- Per serving (2 stuffed pepper halves, 1/2 cup sauce, and 2 tablespoons yogurt)