Bean and cheese–stuffed zucchini
1 medium, chopped
2 medium clove(s), minced
2 medium, chopped
Canned black beans
1 cup(s), rinsed and drained
Reduced-fat shredded Monterey Jack cheese
1 cup(s), or shredded Oaxaca cheese
¼ cup(s), chopped fresh
1 item(s), cut into wedges
- 1 To roast poblanos, preheat broiler. Line medium rimmed baking sheet with foil. Place poblanos on foil. Broil 5 inches from heat, turning often, until skins blister, about 10 minutes. Transfer poblanos to counter and wrap in foil. Let stand 15 minutes. When cool enough to handle, peel blackened skin off poblanos. Remove seeds and membranes and chop poblanos.
- 2 Reduce oven temperature to 375°F. Line large rimmed baking sheet with foil; spray foil with nonstick spray.
- 3 Meanwhile, cut zucchini lengthwise in half. Use spoon to remove flesh, leaving 1/2-inch-thick wall. Chop flesh. Set aside flesh and zucchini shells.
- 4 Spray large skillet with nonstick spray and set over medium heat. Add onion and cook, stirring, until golden, about 5 minutes. Add garlic, oregano, and cumin; cook, stirring constantly, until fragrant, 30 seconds. Add tomatoes and chopped zucchini flesh; increase heat and cook, stirring occasionally, until most of liquid is evaporated, about 8 minutes. Add beans, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and the cayenne; cook, stirring, until heated through, about 2 minutes.
- 5 Place the zucchini shells on prepared baking sheet; sprinkle evenly with remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt. Spoon vegetable mixture evenly into each shell, mounding it high. Bake 35 minutes. Sprinkle evenly with cheese blend and continue baking until the cheese melts and filling is heated through, about 10 minutes. Sprinkle evenly with cilantro. Serve with lime wedges.
- Serving size: (2 stuffed zucchini halves)