Bacon, Egg and Spinach Breakfast Stacks
- 6 cup(s) uncooked bliss potatoes, baby-variety (about 12 oz)
- 9 oz fresh spinach, baby-variety (about 1 1/2 cups after cooking)
- 1 cup(s) part-skim ricotta cheese
- 2 large egg(s), beaten
- 2 Tbsp chives, fresh, chopped
- 6 slice(s) uncooked Canadian bacon, quartered
- 1 cup(s) low fat shredded cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 350ºF. Place muffin liners in a 12-hole muffin tin.
- Wash and steam potatoes until just done or slightly underdone, about 10 to 15 minutes; cool immediately. Slice each potato into four rounds; set aside.
- Wash and steam spinach until just wilted, about 3 to 5 minutes; cool, drain well, squeeze out any remaining water and set aside.
- In a small bowl, combine ricotta cheese, eggs and chives.
- Place a middle slice of potato in the bottom of each muffin hole so it lays flat. Top each with a quarter-slice of bacon, 1 heaping teaspoon of ricotta cheese mixture, about 2 tablespoons of spinach, about a tablespoon of cheddar cheese, another bacon quarter, and another heaping teaspoon of ricotta mixture. Finish stacks by placing remaining potato slices on top and sprinkling with a few remaining shreds of cheese.
- Bake stacks until fully set and ricotta is cooked through, about 30 to 35 minutes. Cool in muffin tins for about 10 to 15 minutes and then transfer to racks to continue cooling. Yields 1 stack per serving.
These stacks can be prepared ahead of time and then reheated in the microwave or served cold. Make them vegetarian by salting the potatoes and replacing the Canadian bacon with roasted red pepper or asparagus, or both.