Bacon and Sharp Cheddar Macaroni and Cheese
- Total Time
This new take on the same old mac and cheese is sure to become a family favorite.
uncooked, mini, farfalle6 oz, about 1 ¼ cups
cooked turkey bacon4 slice(s), cut in pieces, divided
panko breadcrumbs2 Tbsp
grated parmigiano reggiano2 Tbsp, divided
sweet red pepper(s)1 small, finely chopped
uncooked onion(s)1 small, finely chopped
fat free skim milk1 ¾ cup(s)
white all-purpose flour1 Tbsp
WeightWatchers Cheese, cheddar, shredded, low fat½ cup(s), sharp variety
table salt½ tsp
cayenne pepper½ tsp, (or more to taste)
uncooked scallion(s)3 Tbsp, sliced (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Coat a 9-inch pie plate with cooking spray.
- Cook pasta in a large pot of well salted boiling water according to package directions; drain.
- Meanwhile, cook breadcrumbs with ¼ of the bacon in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat, stirring frequently, until crumbs are toasted, about 3 minutes. Remove to a cup and stir in ½ tsp Parmesan cheese; set aside.
- Put red pepper, onion and remaining bacon in same skillet; cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are tender, about 7 minutes. Remove; set aside.
- Whisk milk and flour in same skillet over medium-high heat and bring to a boil; reduce heat to medium and simmer, stirring occasionally, until slightly thickened, about 2 minutes. Remove from heat; whisk in cheddar cheese, salt, cayenne and remaining Parmesan cheese.
- Add cooked, drained pasta and vegetable mixture to skillet and toss. Transfer to prepared baking dish; sprinkle top evenly with bread crumbs.
- Bake until bubbly at edges, about 15 minutes; sprinkle with sliced scallions.
- Serving size: 1 1/4 c