- 1 medium pineapple, golden-variety, peeled and cored
- 2 cup(s) shredded red cabbage
- 1 cup(s) shredded carrot(s), thickly shredded
- 1 cup(s) uncooked jicama, peeled and cut into matchsticks (about 1/4 medium jicama)
- 3/4 cup(s) cilantro, fresh, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup(s) uncooked scallion(s), sliced
- 3 Tbsp rice wine vinegar
- 2 tsp canola oil
- 1/2 tsp table salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper, freshly ground
- 2 Tbsp sesame seeds, toasted
- 1 Tbsp fresh lime juice
Cut six 1/2-inch-thick slices from pineapple; set aside.
Dice remaining pineapple (you should have about 1 cup); place in a large bowl. Add cabbage, carrots, jicama, cilantro, scallions, vinegar, oil, salt and pepper; toss to mix and coat. Let stand a few minutes for flavors to blend.
Arrange pineapple slices on a serving platter or 6 serving plates; top with slaw and sprinkle with sesame seeds (and lime juice, if desired). Yields 1 pineapple slice, about 1 cup slaw and 1 teaspoon sesame seeds per serving.
- This slaw tastes best shortly after it's made. If you want to make it ahead, prep the fruit and vegetables, put them in bowls in the refrigerator and then toss with the vinegar, oil, salt and pepper just before serving.