SmartPoints® value per serving
We love how easily these tarts come together, and you only need seven ingredients to make them, one of which is salt. It's the perfect way to use up those small apples you picked at the apple orchard. Serve these rustic-looking tarts warm with vanilla fat-free frozen yogurt. Fresh apples that are flavored with an easy cinnamon-sugar mixture really evoke the flavors of fall. We call for making a flower shape, but feel free to arrange the slices however you like. For added convenience, you can make the dough up to 24 hours ahead of time if you wrap it securely in plastic wrap and refrigerate it until you need it.
3 small, peeled and thinly sliced
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C). Mix flour with 1/4 teaspoon sugar and salt.
- Cut margarine into flour mixture with a fork until flour is the consistency of cornmeal. Mix with 2 or 3 tablespoons cold water until dough forms a ball (a little drier is better than a little sticky).
- Divide dough into four pieces. Roll each into a ball and then flatten into a disc about 5 inches (13 cm) across. Place the discs on a baking sheet a few inches apart.
- Combine remaining sugar with cinnamon.
- Arrange apple slices on top of dough discs, overlapping and fanning them (so they make a flower shape). Sprinkle generous amounts of sugar-cinnamon mixture over them.
- Bake until crust is browned, approximately 35 to 40 minutes. Serve warm or at room temperature.