Air-fried falafel with tahini sauce & Israeli salad
Dry garbanzo beans
1 cup(s), chopped
¾ cup(s), flat-leaf, chopped and divided
¼ cup(s), chopped
2 medium clove(s)
¾ tsp, divided
Fresh lemon juice
2 Tbsp, divided
1½ cup(s), English, chopped
1½ cup(s), seeded and chopped (about 2 medium)
- To make falafel, in medium bowl, place chickpeas and add enough cold water to cover by 2 inches. Soak overnight or for up to 24 hours.
- Drain chickpeas and transfer to food processor. Add onion, 1⁄2 cup parsley, cilantro, garlic, 1⁄2 tsp salt, and cayenne and process until finely ground, about 1 minute. Sprinkle with cornstarch and baking powder and pulse until well combined, about 8 times. Using damp hands, shape chickpea mixture into 20 balls, about 11⁄2 tbsp each. (Mixture will be very moist but will hold together when lightly squeezed.)
- Preheat air fryer to 375°F. Coat air-fryer basket with nonstick spray. Arrange 10 falafel in air-fryer basket (or fewer if basket is small). Lightly coat tops of falafel with nonstick spray. Cook falafel in air fryer until browned and crisp, about 15 minutes. Repeat with remaining falafel.
- Meanwhile, to make sauce, in small bowl, whisk tahini, 1 tbsp lemon juice, 1⁄8 tsp salt, and 2 tbsp water, adding more water to thin sauce if needed (up to 31⁄2 tbsp total).
- To make salad, in medium bowl, combine cucumber, tomatoes, and remaining 1⁄4 cup parsley, 1 tbsp lemon juice, and 1⁄4 tsp salt. Serve falafel warm with salad and sauce.
- Serving size: 5 falafel, 2 tbsp sauce, and 3⁄4 cup salad