Veggie scotch eggs
Egg, whole, raw
5 medium, raw
WW Thick Sliced Wholemeal Bread
1 can(s), large, drained, drained and rinsed
1 clove(s), crushed
½ teaspoons, level
½ zest(s) of 1
2 teaspoons, level
Plain White Flour
2 tablespoons, level
- Put 4 of the eggs in a pan of cold water. Bring to the boil, cook for 5 minutes then transfer immediately to a large bowl of ice-cold water. Once the eggs are cool enough to handle, peel them and set aside.
- Put one of the slices of bread into a food processor and pulse to crumbs. Pat the drained chickpeas dry with kitchen paper, then add them to the food processor with the breadcrumbs and pulse again until they’re finely chopped, but not too smooth. Transfer the mixture to a bowl and stir in the garlic, mace, lemon zest and sage, along with the yolk from the remaining egg, then season to taste and set aside.
- Toast the 3 remaining slices of bread until golden, then whizz them to crumbs in the food processor and tip onto a large plate. Drizzle over the oil and rub in with your fingertips to coat all the breadcrumbs in the oil.
- Put the flour onto a second plate and roll one of the peeled eggs in it, shaking off any excess. Take a quarter of the chickpea mixture, flatten it between your hands and wrap it around the floured egg, moulding so it completely covers the egg in an even layer with no gaps. Repeat with the remaining boiled eggs.
- In a small bowl, beat the remaining egg white with a fork and brush over each of the chickpea coated eggs, then roll them in the toasted breadcrumbs. Put the coated eggs on a baking sheet and chill for 1 hour.
- Preheat the oven to 200°C, fan 180°C, gas mark 6. Bake the eggs for 18-20 minutes until the crumb coating is crisp and golden.