Stuffed butternut squash
- Total Time
Put butternut squash on the menu with this wonderfully satisfying main meal the whole family can enjoy.
Butternut Squash1 portion(s), halved lengthways and deseeded
Calorie controlled cooking spray5 spray(s)
Extra lean beef mince (5% fat), raw100 g
Extra Lean Pork Mince (5% fat), raw100 g
Onion(s)1 small, finely chopped
Garlic1 clove(s), crushed
Tinned Tomatoes400 g, chopped
Tomato Purèe1 tablespoons, level
Dried Mixed Herbs1 tablespoons
Parsley, fresh1 tablespoons, flat leaf, chopped to garnish
- Preheat the oven to Gas Mark 6/200°C/fan oven 180°C.
- Using a small sharp knife and a spoon, scoop out some of the flesh from each half of the butternut squash and chop it finely.
- Put the 2 halves of the squash into a roasting tin, cut sides up, and spray with calorie controlled cooking spray. Transfer to the oven and bake for 30 minutes, until just tender.
- Meanwhile, spray a large saucepan with calorie controlled cooking spray and add the minced beef and pork, a handful at a time, until seared and browned. Add the onion and garlic and cook, stirring, for another 1-2 minutes. Tip in the canned tomatoes, then add the chopped butternut squash, tomato puree and herbs. Bring up to the boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for 20 minutes, without a lid. Season.
- Remove the roasting tin from the oven and spoon the mince mixture into the butternut squash halves. Return to the oven and bake for a further 10-15 minutes. Serve, garnished with chopped parsley.