Stuffed squash with black beans
4 whole, small
Calorie controlled cooking spray
Bulgur wheat, dry
1 small, finely diced
½ medium, deseeded and diced
1 clove(s), crushed
Chilli, Green or Red
1 individual, deseeded and finely chopped
1 teaspoons, level, smoked
½ teaspoons, level
Black Beans in Water
4 tablespoons, roughly chopped
Egg, whole, raw
4 medium, raw
Hot Pepper Sauce (Tabasco)
1 splash(es), (optional), to serve
- Preheat the oven to 180°C, fan 160°C, gas mark 4. Cut off the ‘neck’ of each squash, leaving the round base. Scoop out the seeds and discard. Mist the rounded halves with cooking spray and season well. Put on a baking tray and roast for 40 minutes until golden.
- Meanwhile, peel and cut 100g of the remaining squash into 1.5cm cubes. Put on a baking tray, mist with cooking spray, season, and roast alongside the squash halves for the last 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cook the bulgur wheat to pack instructions. Leave to cool.
- Mist a large frying pan with cooking spray and set over a medium-low heat. Add the onion and cook for 6-8 minutes until softened. Add the pepper and cook for 5 minutes. Stir in the garlic, chilli and spices, and cook for 1 minute. Remove from the heat and stir in the bulgur wheat, black beans and 2 tbsp water. Stir in the roasted squash cubes and half of the coriander. Season to taste.
- Spoon the bulgur wheat mixture into the roasted squash halves, leaving enough room at the top for the eggs. Crack an egg onto each then return to oven. Bake for 15 minutes or until the egg whites are set and the yolks soft.
- Serve garnished with the remaining coriander and a few drops of Tabasco sauce, if you like.