Soda bread with Guinness spread
PersonalPoints™ per serving
Plan to enjoy a pint of Guinness this St Patrick’s Day? Save a little for our Guinness spread – it’s delicious on a slice of soda bread.
Self Raising Wholemeal Flour
Plain White Flour
Bicarbonate of Soda
½ teaspoons, level
Low Fat Spread
Half Fat Cheddar Cheese
- Preheat the oven to 200°C, fan 180°C, gas mark 6 and dust a large baking sheet with the extra wholemeal flour.
- Sift both fl ours, the salt and bicarbonate of soda into a large mixing bowl. Pour in the buttermilk and stir, using a wooden spoon, until the mixture forms a soft, sticky dough.
- Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface; knead briefly. Shape into a large round loaf, put on the prepared baking sheet and score the top using a sharp knife. Bake for 30 minutes, or until risen and golden.
- Make the Guinness spread. In a bowl, beat the spread until smooth, then add the cheese and beat to combine. Season well then beat in the Guinness.
- Cut the bread into equal slices and serve warm with the Guinness spread.