Smoked haddock kedgeree
Smoked haddock, raw
Semi Skimmed Milk
Calorie controlled cooking spray
1 large, finely sliced
2 clove(s), crushed
1 inch slice(s), peeled and grated
1 tablespoons, medium
½ teaspoon, level
Brown Rice, dry
Vegetable stock cube(s)
1 cube(s), 400ml stock
Egg, whole, raw
4 medium, raw
Peas, fresh or frozen
150 g, frozen garden peas
- Put the haddock, skin side down, in a large nonstick frying pan and pour over the milk, along with 100ml water. Bring to the boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for 5 minutes. Remove from the heat, flip the fish over and set the pan aside.
- Lightly mist a medium pan with cooking spray and place over a medium heat. Add the onion and cook for 5-7 minutes, then add the garlic, ginger, curry powder, turmeric and coriander. Cook for a further 3 minutes, then add the rice and stock. Bring to the boil, then cover the pan, reduce the heat to low and gently simmer for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, bring a small pan of water to the boil and add the eggs. Simmer for 7 minutes, then drain and leave to cool in cold water. Peel the eggs and cut into quarters.
- After the rice has simmered for 20 minutes, remove the lid and add the peas, along with the milk from the poached haddock. Cover again and simmer for a final 5 minutes. Season to taste.
- Divide the kedgeree between 4 shallow bowls. Roughly flake the smoked haddock, discarding the skin. Top each bowl with the fish and eggs, then season with freshly ground black pepper to serve.