Rich chocolate mousse cake
PersonalPoints™ per serving
1 hr 5 min
Indulge in a piece of heaven, with this deliciously decadent chocolate cake.
Low Fat Spread
250 g, (minimum 70% cocoa)
Egg, whole, raw
3 medium, raw, separated, plus
Egg white(s), raw
1½ teaspoons, level
½ teaspoons, heaped
- Preheat the oven to 180°C, fan 160°C, gas mark 4. Line the base of a 20cm springform cake tin with non-stick baking parchment.
- Melt the low fat spread in a saucepan. Remove from the heat and add the chocolate, stirring to dissolve. If there are any lumps of chocolate left after 1 min, return the pan to a low heat and continue stirring until dissolved, then remove the pan from the heat.
- In a bowl, whisk the egg yolks with half the caster sugar and 1 tsp mixed spice until pale and thick. Fold in the chocolate mixture.
- In a separate, clean, grease-free bowl, whisk all the egg whites until they form stiff peaks. Gradually whisk in the remaining caster sugar until the egg whites are stiff and glossy.
- Add a large spoonful of the egg whites to the chocolate mixture and fold in quickly to slacken it. Carefully fold in the remaining whites until fully incorporated. Spoon into the prepared cake tin and bake for 40–45 mins or until risen. Leave the cake to cool in the tin with a piece of foil over the top to soften the crust.
- To serve, loosen the edges with a round-ended knife and remove the springform tin. Carefully slide the cake from the base and lining on to a plate. Mix together the remaining mixed spice and the icing sugar and dust over the cake. Serve in wedges.