Redcurrant & cranberry glazed turkey
Turkey Breast, Skinless, raw
1300 g, 1.3kg, trimmed of excess fat
Calorie controlled cooking spray
Red Wine Vinegar
3 clove(s), finely chopped
3 teaspoons, chopped
1 tablespoons, chopped
Bacon, fat trimmed, raw
150 g, unsmoked, back bacon
Plain White Flour
1 tablespoons, level
Dry white wine
Vegetable stock cube(s)
1 cube(s), make up to 250ml with hot water
- For the glaze, put the cranberry juice, redcurrant jelly and vinegar in a pan. Simmer, stirring to dissolve the jelly, for 10 mins until reduced and thickened. Set aside.
- For the filling, put the garlic, herbs and salt in a pestle and mortar, then grind to make a coarse paste.
- Preheat the oven to gas mark 6/200°C/ fan 180°C. Place the turkey, skin side down, on a cutting board and cut halfway through along the length of the breast and then open it out.
- Using a meat mallet or rolling pin, bash the turkey to flatten it slightly. Spread the filling evenly over the turkey then fold in half to encase the filling. Use kitchen string to tie it at 2.5cm intervals.
- Spray the turkey with cooking spray, season and place in a non-stick roasting tray. Roast for 45 mins, occasionally basting the meat with any juices in the tray.
- Make the bacon spikes by removing the leaves from each rosemary stick, leaving a small sprig at the top (or you can also keep the leaves on). Wrap a strip of bacon around each rosemary stick.
- Remove the turkey from the oven, spread the redcurrant glaze over the top and then return it to the oven. Roast for 10 mins then arrange the bacon spikes around the turkey. Cook for 30 mins or until the meat is cooked through.
- Remove the turkey from the oven, transfer to a plate, cover with foil and rest for 20 mins. Put the bacon spikes on a separate plate to cool, covered with foil.
- Meanwhile, to make the gravy, pour off the juices from the roasting tray into a pan, add the flour and stir over a medium heat for 2 mins. Pour in the wine, then simmer until reduced. Stir in the stock and redcurrant jelly then simmer for 5 mins or until thickened. Carve the turkey into slices and serve 140g per person (without the skin) with the gravy and bacon spikes.