Pea, lettuce & asparagus soup
This vibrant green soup is overflowing with fresh flavours. If you like, you could make it vegan-friendly by omitting the feta.
Calorie controlled cooking spray
400 g, trimmed, roughly chopped. plus and extra 4 spears, to serve
4 medium, roughly chopped
2 clove(s), crushed
Vegetable stock cube(s)
1 cube(s), to make 700ml
Peas, fresh or frozen
200 g, frozen
1 individual, little gem lettuce, quartered
4 sprig(s), handful, plus extra to garnish
Light Feta Cheese
60 g, to serve
- Mist a large nonstick pan with cooking spray and cook the chopped asparagus, spring onions and garlic over a medium heat for 6-8 minutes, until softened. Add the stock and peas and bring the mixture to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for 3 minutes until the peas are tender.
- Meanwhile, heat a nonstick griddle pan over a high heat. Mist the whole asparagus spears all over with cooking spray and griddle for 5 minutes, turning occasionally, until tender. Transfer to a plate and set aside. Mist the lettuce with cooking spray and griddle for 3 minutes, or until just beginning to char.
- Add the griddled lettuce to the soup, cover and remove from the heat. Set aside for 2 minutes, until the lettuce has softened completely, then stir in the mint leaves.
- Transfer the soup to a blender (or use a stick blender) and blitz until smooth. Return the soup to the pan, season to taste and reheat over a low heat.
- Ladle the soup into bowls, top with the griddled asparagus and extra mint. Crumble over the feta and drizzle over the oil, then season and serve.
It might sound strange but trust us – you definitely won’t want to skip charring your lettuce in this recipe! A quick turn on the griddle helps bring out the natural sweetness of the lettuce, as well as adding a smoky flavour that will make your soup even tastier.