Leek & cheddar muffins
So delicious served warm from the oven – a perfect treat!
Calorie controlled cooking spray
150 g, sliced
Plain White Flour
1 tablespoon(s), heaped
40 g, finely grated
Egg, whole, raw
1 medium, raw
Low Fat Spread
100 g, melted
1 tablespoon(s), level
- Preheat the oven to 200°C, fan 180°C, gas mark 6. Place 10 paper muffin cases into a muffin tray, or line with squares of greaseproof paper.
- Cook the leeks in boiling water for 5 minutes. Drain well and leave to cool.
- Sift the flour, salt and baking powder into a large mixing bowl. Stir in the sugar, cheese and cooled leeks. In a jug, beat together the egg, milk, melted spread, mustard and black pepper.
- Pour the egg mixture into the flour mixture and stir until the ingredients are just combined. The secret to successful muffins is to avoid over-mixing when adding the wet ingredients to the dry ones.
- Spoon the mixture into the muffin cases. Bake for 20-25 minutes until risen and golden. Serve warm, or freeze when cold to use later.
If you’re wondering why sugar is in the recipe, it improves the texture and flavour of the muffins.