Leek and Cheddar muffins
- Total Time
So delicious served warm from the oven – a perfect treat!
Calorie controlled cooking spray4 spray(s)
Leek150 g, sliced
Plain White Flour250 g
Baking powder1 tablespoons, heaped
Caster Sugar1 teaspoons
Cheddar cheese40 g, finely grated
Egg, whole, raw1 medium, raw
Skimmed Milk240 ml
Low Fat Spread100 g, melted
Wholegrain Mustard1 tablespoons, level
Black pepper1 g
- Preheat the oven to Gas Mark 6/200°C/fan oven 180°C. Place 10 paper muffin cases into a muffin tray, or line with squares of greaseproof paper.
- Cook the leeks in boiling water for 5 minutes. Drain well and leave to cool.
- Sift the flour, salt and baking powder into a large mixing bowl. Stir in the sugar, cheese and cooled leeks. In a jug, beat together the egg, milk, melted spread, mustard and black pepper.
- Pour the egg mixture into the flour mixture and stir until the ingredients are just combined. The secret to successful muffins is to avoid over-mixing when adding the wet ingredients to the dry ones.
- Spoon the mixture into the muffin cases. Bake for 20-25 minutes until risen and golden. Serve warm, or freeze when cold to use later.