Leek & cheddar muffins
Calorie controlled cooking spray
150 g, sliced
Plain White Flour
1 tablespoons, heaped
40 g, finely grated
Egg, whole, raw
1 medium, raw
Low Fat Spread
100 g, melted
1 tablespoons, level
- Preheat the oven to 200°C, fan 180°C, gas mark 6. Place 10 paper muffin cases into a muffin tray, or line with squares of greaseproof paper.
- Cook the leeks in boiling water for 5 minutes. Drain well and leave to cool.
- Sift the flour, salt and baking powder into a large mixing bowl. Stir in the sugar, cheese and cooled leeks. In a jug, beat together the egg, milk, melted spread, mustard and black pepper.
- Pour the egg mixture into the flour mixture and stir until the ingredients are just combined. The secret to successful muffins is to avoid over-mixing when adding the wet ingredients to the dry ones.
- Spoon the mixture into the muffin cases. Bake for 20-25 minutes until risen and golden. Serve warm, or freeze when cold to use later.