Simply delicious, this sorbet is pretty to look at and wonderfully refreshing. And the best part is that you don't need an ice cream machine to make it.
30 leaf/leaves, large, washed, dried and finely minced
400 g, well-ripened
Lime Juice, Fresh
15 ml, (1 tbsp)
- In a small saucepan, combine water, sugar and basil; bring mixture to a boil over medium-high heat. Boil for 1 minute, reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes more; remove from heat and let cool.
- Meanwhile, cut melon into slices; remove seeds and rind. Cube melon flesh; place in a food processor and chop melon into a pulp.
- Combine cooled basil syrup, melon pulp and lime juice in a medium bowl. Freeze using one of these methods:
- Machine method—Run mixture through an ice cream maker as per manufacturer’s instructions. Serve immediately or put in freezer for future use. If frozen, soften in refrigerator for about 10-20 minutes before serving.
- Freezer tray method—Pour mixture into a shallow metal pan and freeze halfway through, about 20-30 minutes. Rake a fork or spoon through partially frozen mixture so it does not freeze into a solid block; return pan to freezer and let freeze. Before serving, run sorbet through a food processor or blender to obtain desired texture.