Fish & chips
Bypass your local chippy with this tasty British dish!
Calorie controlled cooking spray
700 g, scrubbed and cut into chips
Plain White Flour
Egg, whole, raw
1 medium, raw
4 fillet(s), medium
1 medium, cut into wedges, to serve
Vinegar, All Types
1 tablespoon(s), malt, to serve
- Preheat oven to 200°C, fan 180°C, gas mark 6. Mist a baking sheet with cooking spray.
- Put the potato wedges into a roasting pan. Add olive oil and toss to coat. Season with salt and pepper. Bake for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, prepare the fish. Sprinkle flour onto a plate, season with salt and pepper. Beat the egg and 2 tbsp cold water together in a shallow bowl. Sprinkle breadcrumbs onto a separate plate. Coat fish in seasoned flour, dip into egg mixture, then coat in breadcrumbs. Then, arrange on the baking sheet.
- Reduce oven to 190°C, fan 170°C, gas mark 5. Continue to bake the potatoes, with the fish positioned below them, for another 15-20 minutes. To check that the fish is cooked, test it with a fork - the flesh should be opaque and should flake easily.
- Serve the fish and chips with vinegar, lemon wedges, salt and pepper. Garnish with parsley.