Crunchy coffee meringue cake
Calorie controlled cooking spray
Low Fat Spread
Egg, whole, raw
2 medium, raw
White Self Raising Flour
½ teaspoons, level
2 teaspoons, level
Egg white(s), raw
Tesco Lighter Mascarpone
4 teaspoons, level
- Preheat the oven to 180°C, fan 160°C, gas mark 4, and mist a 20cm round cake tin with cooking spray. Trace the outline of the cake tin on a large sheet of baking paper, then put the paper on a large baking sheet.
- Make the meringue. In a large bowl, whisk the egg whites using a hand-held electric whisk until thick. Add the caster sugar and sweetener, in batches, and continue whisking until stiff peaks form. Gently fold in 1 tsp of the coffee. Spoon the meringue onto the baking paper and spread out to fill the circle shape using a spatula. Set aside while you make the cake.
- In a bowl, beat together the spread and sugar until creamy. Gradually beat in the eggs until well combined. Gently fold in the flour, baking powder and remaining coffee, then pour into the prepared tin.
- Bake the cake and meringue for 20 minutes. Insert a skewer into the centre of the cake – if it comes out clean, the cake is cooked. Remove from the oven and set aside to cool in the tin then turn out onto a wire rack to cool completely. Cook the meringue for a further 10-15 minutes. Remove from the oven and set aside to cool.
- When both have cooled, make the filling. Beat together the mascarpone, icing sugar and cocoa powder until smooth. Spoon the filling over the sponge then top with the coffee meringue.