Chicken casserole with dumplings
Chicken breast, skinless, raw
4 medium, cut into large chunks
White Self Raising Flour
190 g, 150g, plus 2 tablespoon
Calorie controlled cooking spray
1 medium, finely chopped
3 medium, sliced into 5mm rounds
1 stick(s), finely sliced
460 g, roughly chopped
2 clove(s), crushed
½ tablespoons, level
Chicken stock cube(s)
1 cube(s), to make 850ml stock
Bay leaf, dry
1 tablespoons, level
Fat Free Natural Yogurt
6 teaspoons, finely chopped, plus extra, to serve
4 portion(s), medium
- Put the chicken and 2 tablespoons of the flour in a large bowl, season to taste and toss together until the chicken is coated in the flour.
- Mist a 2-litre flameproof, lidded, nonstick casserole dish with cooking spray and put over a medium heat. Add the onion, carrots, celery and potatoes and cook for 6-8 minutes until just soft, then add the garlic and mustard and cook for another 2 minutes.
- Add the chicken and cook, stirring, for a further 2-3 minutes, then add the stock, rosemary, thyme and bay leaf. Cover and gently simmer for 20 minutes, then remove the lid. In a small bowl, combine the cornflour and a little of the liquid from the casserole to form a thin paste, then stir it back into the dish. Cook, uncovered, for 10 additional minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine the remaining flour, the yogurt and tarragon in a small bowl until a dough forms, then divide into 8 and roll into balls. Put the dumplings on the surface of the stew, then cover and cook for 10-15 minutes, until the dumplings have puffed up and are cooked through. Serve the dumplings and stew with the extra tarragon scattered over, a sprinkling of freshly ground black pepper and the beans on the side.
- The casserole can be frozen without the dumplings for up to 2 months. Defrost and bring to a simmer, then add the dumplings as in the recipe.