Chicken & leek pie with butternut squash topping
Chicken breast, skinless, raw
250 g, diced
1 medium, trimmed and thickly sliced
Plain White Flour
Chicken stock cube(s)
⅓ cube(s), made with 130ml boiling water
Half Fat Crème Frâiche
400 g, peeled, deseeded and cut into large chunks
Peas, fresh or frozen
2 portion(s), medium
- Heat the oil in a large pan. Cook the chicken over a medium heat for around 5 minutes, or until it turns golden. Add the leek and cook for a further 2 minutes.
- Stir in the flour and continue to cook for another minute before gradually adding the stock, stirring continuously. Bring to the boil for 2 minutes, then reduce the heat to a simmer and cook for around 8 minutes until the sauce has thickened. Remove from the heat and leave to cool slightly. Stir in the crème fraîche, tarragon and peas and set aside.
- Meanwhile, put the butternut squash in a pan of cold water and bring to the boil. Simmer for 10 minutes, or until tender. Drain, mash, and season with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Preheat the oven to 200°C, fan 180°C, gas mark 6. Spoon the chicken mixture into a small pie dish (around 700ml) and top with the butternut squash mash. Whilst the pie is baking, cook the green beans to pack instructions.
- Bake the pie for 25-30 minutes or until the top is crisp and golden. Serve alongside the green beans.