Plain White Flour
140 g, Plus extra for dusting
Doves Farm Brown Rice Flour
Low Fat Spread
140 g, Softened
1 teaspoons, 6 pods. Seeds removed and crushed.
¾ teaspoons, level
Cloves, Whole or Ground
¼ teaspoons, level, (Ground)
½ teaspoons, level
6 teaspoons, level
- Put the flours and low-fat spread in a small bowl. Rub the two together with your fingertips until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs. Stir in the sugar and spices until combined.
- Turn the mixture onto a lightly floured surface and gently knead until it comes together into a dough. Using a rolling pin, roll to 3-4mm thick. Stamp out 16 biscuits with a 9cm flower cutter (or similar shape), then, using a 3cm round cutter, stamp out a hole in the middle of each biscuit; you’ll need to reroll the trimmings.
- Carefully transfer the biscuits to a large baking sheet lined with baking paper and chill for 30 minutes, until the biscuit dough is completely firm. Preheat the oven to 200°C, fan 180°C, gas mark 6.
- Transfer the baking sheet and cookie dough to the oven and bake for 15-18 minutes until the biscuits are golden, then transfer to a cooling rack to cool completely.
- To make the icing, mix the sugar with the cinnamon, ½ tbsp water and 1-2 drops of yellow food colouring (optional), until you have a smooth glaze. Drizzle the glaze over the biscuits; alternatively, dip the biscuit tops in the icing. Return the biscuits to the cooling rack to firm up before serving.