Black forest pavlova
Egg white(s), raw
2 teaspoons, level
White Wine Vinegar
Elmlea Alternative to Cream Double Light
0% fat natural Greek yogurt
Frozen Mixed Berries
½ teaspoons, level
40 g, shaved into curls with a vegetable peeler
200 g, stalks intact, to decorate
- Preheat the oven to 130°C, fan 110°C, gas mark ¾ and line two baking trays with baking paper. Draw 3 x 18cm circles on the paper and turn it over.
- Put the egg whites in a large, clean bowl and whisk to stiff peaks. Add 250g caster sugar, 1 tbsp at a time, whisking back to stiff peaks and making sure the sugar is fully incorporated after each addition. Finally, whisk in the cornflour and white wine vinegar.
- Dollop a third of the mixture on to each 18cm circle on the baking paper and swirl it out to fit. Bake in the oven for 1 hour, then turn the oven off and leave the meringues inside it to cool overnight (or for at least 4 hours).
- To make the cherry compote, put the frozen cherries, 25g caster sugar, the cinnamon and ½ tbsp water in a pan over a medium-high heat. Cook gently, stirring, until the cherries have defrosted and the sugar has dissolved, then simmer rapidly for 5-6 minutes, stirring from time to time, until the cherries start to break apart and the juice is thick. Allow to cool completely.
- To make the chocolate curls, break the chocolate into a bowl, then microwave on high in small bursts until melted. Spread the chocolate in a thin layer over a small baking tray. Allow to just set, then drag a knife against the chocolate at a 45-degree angle to make a curl. Carefully transfer the curl to a plate and repeat. Once you’ve used all the chocolate, chill the curls until needed.
- When ready to serve, whisk the Elmlea until beginning to reach soft peaks, then add the yogurt and whisk back to soft peaks. Remove the meringues from the paper and place one on a serving plate. Top with a third of the cream and a third of the compote. Place the second meringue on top and repeat with a third of the cream and compote. Finish with the final meringue layer and swirl the remaining cream on top, spooning over the last of the cherry compote and topping with the fresh cherries. Sprinkle with the chocolate curls, to serve.