Lemon Juice, Fresh
Light Brown Sugar
Beef fillet steak, lean, raw
3 individual, medium
Chilli, Green or Red
Lime Juice, Fresh
Thai Fish Sauce
Spring Roll Wrapper
12 individual, small
9 leaf/leaves, small
Sweet Chilli Sauce
Oysters, Flesh Only, Raw
Lean Pork Mince (10% fat), raw
- To make the beef tataki, combine 1 tbsp soy sauce, 1 tbsp mirin, the lemon juice, 1 crushed garlic clove, 3cm grated ginger and 1 tsp sugar in a bowl. Brush the steaks with the oil and season. Sear the beef in a nonstick frying pan over a medium-high heat for 1-2 minutes on each side for rare, or to your liking. Transfer the steak to the bowl with the soy sauce mixture, then cover and marinate in the fridge for at least 1 hour.
- To make the spicy dip, put the tomatoes, 4 whole garlic cloves, 2 halved red chillies, shallots and red pepper on a baking tray and cook under a preheated grill for 8-10 minutes, turning once, until charred and softened. Set aside to cool a little, then transfer to a food processor. Add 3cm grated ginger and pulse until chopped and the mixture is combined but still chunky. Spoon into a serving bowl, then and stir in 1 tbsp chopped coriander, 2 tbsp lime juice and 1 tbsp fish sauce. Season to taste and set aside.
- To make the salmon rolls, fill a large bowl with hot water. Dip 1 rice paper wrapper into the water for 30 seconds or until softened slightly, then put it on a clean work surface. Place a mint leaf in the centre, and top with one-sixth of the salmon, half a lettuce leaf and one-sixth each of 2 grated carrots and 2 halved and thinly sliced cucumbers. Fold the edge of the paper closest to you over the filling, fold in the sides, then roll up tightly to make a neat parcel. Repeat with the remaining ingredients to make 12 rolls. Serve with the dipping sauce.
- To prepare the oysters, combine 2 tsp soy sauce, 2 tsp mirin, 2 tsp lime juice and 1/4 chopped chilli in a bowl. Put a handful of the rock salt on a large serving platter, arrange the oysters on top and spoon over the sauce.
- To make san choy bau, heat 1 tsp peanut oil in a large nonstick wok or frying pan over a medium-high heat. Add the mince, 1/2 crushed garlic clove and 1/2 chopped chilli then cook, stirring, for 5 minutes or until the mince is cooked through. Add 2 tsp fish sauce and 2 tsp soy sauce, 2 tsp lime juice and 1 tsp sugar, then stir-fry until heated through. Remove from the heat and stir in the remaining coriander. Season to taste and spoon over the remaining lettuce leaves.
- Remove the beef from the marinade and thinly slice. Arrange the cucumber and watercress on the platter, top with the beef and drizzle with some marinade.
- Arrange all of the dishes on the platter with the carrot, celery and mange tout, and serve immediately.