30 easy slow cooker recipes
There's nothing better than coming home to a hearty slow cooked meal. Check out our favourite slow cooker recipes for the cooler autumn and winter months.
Expert tips for slow cooking
1. Avoid lifting the lid on your slow cooker unless really necessary as this allows the heat to escape. Also cut your ingredients into similar-sized pieces so they cook evenly.
2. Slow cook tougher cuts of meat (such as chuck or stewing steak). However, still remove as much visible fat as possible (there will be enough interconnective tissue to keep it soft and tender).
3. Reduce the liquid content when converting recipes for the slow cooker as there is less evaporation. As a general guide, use ½–1 cup (125-250ml) less than for other cooking methods.
4. Chuck steak and lamb shoulder are best for slow cooking (cheaper cuts of meat) as expensive cuts will become tough instead of tender.
5. Use paper towel for blotting any cooking fat that rises to the top.
6. Keep an eye on the liquid level and add more water or reduce the temperature if the food starts to stick.