Apricot chicken is an all-time favourite and this dish doesn’t disappoint. We’ve also added some curry flavours to partner the sweetness from the fruit. A truly spectacular creation is the result of wonderful slow-cooking.
- 1/4 cup(s) plain flour, (35g)
- 2 tsp Paprika, smoked
- 600 g skinless chicken thigh, (Buy 8 x 100g), fat trimmed
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 1 medium brown onion, chopped
- 2 clove(s) fresh garlic, crushed
- 3 tsp red curry paste, korma
- 280 g Apricot, canned in natural juice, (410g can)
- 1/2 cup(s) chicken stock, (125ml)
- 4 tbs fresh thyme, lemon variety, (4 sprigs), plus extra to serve
Combine flour and paprika on a plate. Season with salt and pepper. Toss chicken in flour mixture to coat.
Heat half the oil in a large non-stick frying pan over medium heat. Cook chicken for 2–3 minutes each side or until browned. Transfer to a 4.5 litre (18-cup) slow cooker.
Heat remaining oil in same pan over medium-high heat. Cook onion, stirring, for 3–4 minutes or until softened. Add garlic and curry paste and cook, stirring, for 1 minute or until fragrant. Add apricots and juice, stock and lemon thyme and bring to the boil. Season with salt and pepper.
Pour mixture over chicken in slow cooker. Cook, covered, on low for 6 hours (or high for 3 hours). Serve with extra lemon thyme.
- SERVING SUGGESTION: Steamed asparagus and baby carrots, plus mashed potato. Boil, steam or microwave 600g potatoes (chopped) until tender. Drain and mash with 1/3 cup (80ml) skim milk until smooth. Season with salt and pepper.