24 ways to use budget-friendly mince tonight
Mince is the perfect budget friendly versatile ingredient that can be used in a variety of quick and easy dishes.
Published 29 September 2020 | Updated 3 August 2023
Mince meat is a versatile ingredient that can be used in a variety of dishes from family classics like bolognese to internationally inspired meals. Here are five tips to help you make the most of this ingredient:
- Use lean mince meat: When cooking with mince meat, it's a good idea to use 'lean' mince where possible. This will reduce the amount of fat in your dish and make it healthier.
- Brown the meat properly: When cooking with mince meat, it is important to brown it properly to add flavour and texture to your dish. Make sure the meat is evenly browned on all sides before adding other ingredients.
- Add aromatics: To add more flavour to your dish, consider adding aromatics such as garlic, onions, and herbs. These ingredients can enhance the taste of the meat and make your dish more flavourful.
- Cook the meat for the right amount of time: Overcooking can make the meat tough and dry, while undercooking can lead to foodborne illness.
- Experiment with different types: Mince meat comes in a variety of different proteins including chicken, turkey, beef, lamb and even plant-based alternatives like Quorn. Chicken and turkey breast varieties and Quorn mince are also ZeroPoint foods on the WeightWatchers program. Don't be afraid to experiment with different recipes to find new and exciting ways to use this versatile ingredient.