- 1 tbs olive oil
- 1 medium brown onion, finely choppped
- 1 individual celery sticks, finely chopped
- 1 medium carrot, finely chopped
- 3 clove(s) fresh garlic, finely chopped
- 2 tbs tomato paste
- 400 g canned diced tomatoes, (1 x 400g can)
- 250 g lean pork mince
- 250 g mince veal, raw
- 3/4 cup(s) grated parmesan cheese
- 1/3 cup(s) fresh flat-leaf parsley, finely chopped
- 125 g Instant yellow polenta, (¾ cup)
- 1 tbs fresh lemon rind, finely chopped
Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Cook onion, celery, carrot and two-thirds of the garlic, stirring, for 5 minutes or until softened. Add paste and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add tomatoes and ½ cup (125ml) water and bring to the boil. Reduce heat and simmer, covered, for 15 minutes.
Meanwhile, combine mince, 2 tablespoons cheese and half the parsley in a medium bowl. Roll heaped tablespoons of mixture into 12 balls.
Add meatballs to tomato mixture and cook for 15 minutes or until meatballs are cooked through and sauce thickens (see notes).
Meanwhile, bring 1L (4 cups) of water to the boil over high heat. Add polenta in a steady stream and cook, stirring, for 5 minutes or until soft and creamy. Stir in remaining cheese.
Combine lemon rind, remaining garlic and parsley in a bowl. Serve polenta topped with meatballs, sauce and gremolata.
- SERVING SUGGESTION: Steamed green beans.