Pork and veal meatballs on polenta with gremolata
- Total Time
The all-time family classic of meatballs with a fresh lemon, parsley and garlic germolata topping.
olive oil1 tbs
brown onion1 medium, finely choppped
celery sticks1 individual, finely chopped
carrot1 medium, finely chopped
fresh garlic3 clove(s), finely chopped
tomato paste2 tbs
canned diced tomatoes400 g, (1 x 400g can)
lean pork mince250 g
mince veal, raw250 g
grated parmesan cheese¾ cup(s)
fresh flat-leaf parsley⅓ cup(s), finely chopped
Instant yellow polenta125 g, (¾ cup)
fresh lemon rind1 tbs, finely chopped
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Cook onion, celery, carrot and two-thirds of the garlic, stirring, for 5 minutes or until softened. Add paste and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add tomatoes and ½ cup (125ml) water and bring to the boil. Reduce heat and simmer, covered, for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine mince, 2 tablespoons cheese and half the parsley in a medium bowl. Roll heaped tablespoons of mixture into 12 balls.
- Add meatballs to tomato mixture and cook for 15 minutes or until meatballs are cooked through and sauce thickens (see notes).
- Meanwhile, bring 1L (4 cups) of water to the boil over high heat. Add polenta in a steady stream and cook, stirring, for 5 minutes or until soft and creamy. Stir in remaining cheese.
- Combine lemon rind, remaining garlic and parsley in a bowl. Serve polenta topped with meatballs, sauce and gremolata.